Amazon and Walmart categories are hierarchically organized groups that categorize products for easy navigation and discovery. These categories allow users an alternative to search
- Hierarchical Structure: Categories are organized hierarchically, with broader categories containing subcategories, and subcategories containing even more specialized subcategories. For example:
- "Electronics" is a broad category, and "Laptops" is a subcategory within it.
- Cross Listing: Product can be observed to list under multiple categories. For example:
- A pair of sports socks showing up under different sport categories.
- A product listing under any subcategory e.g. "Frying Pans" and also having a ranking in the respective rootcategory such as "Home & Kitchen".
- Multi-Path Accessibility: A category can be accessed via different paths or hierarchies. For example, the Earbud Headphones category can be found through:
- Electronics > Headphones > Earbud Headphones
- Electronics > Home Audio > Headphones > Earbud Headphones
- Multiple Names: Each category can have multiple names or aliases based on how users navigate the Amazon or Walmart websites. Datahawk typically displays one standardized name for consistency. For example:
- DataHawk may use: "Earbud Headphones"
- Amazon may sometimes display the identical category: "Earbud & In-Ear Headphones"
When you add a category as a source using Datahawk, you can unveil daily updated data related to the top 100 Best Sellers Rank (BSR) within that category. This information is crucial for understanding how products are performing in real-time.
For each product ranking in the top 100 BSR, Datahawk exposes several key data points:
- BSR: The best seller rank of the product relative to the category.
- Title: The product name as it appears on Amazon.
- URL: The direct link to the product page on Amazon.
- Picture URL: The URL of the product's main image.
- Price: The current selling price of the product.
- Rating: The average rating out of 5, collated from customer reviews.
- Rating Count: The total number of reviews contributing to the average rating.
Once you have tracked a category, the following key datasets will be populated with data:
|market.market_best_seller_rank||Top 100 BSR monitoring and category market analysis|
|market.market_product_sales_estimates||Top 100 BSR proprietary AI-enriched sales comparison|
and market share analysis
|market.market_browse_node_sales_estimates||Full category market sizing|
|report.report_product_latest_version||Top 100 BSR brand analysis and further data enrichment|
Access the above data through the market schema on your hosted database. You could read through the complete table and column documentation on the schema doc.
Similar to Amazon, DataHawk uses the term browse nodes interchangeably with categories. You will find categories referred to as browse nodes inside our data model.
Data Refresh and Lookback History
- New Top 100 BSR data is added daily, covering the key metrics above.
- The full available history of a category is included with many categories having data up to 2021-01-01.
- Product page data is automatically collected on Top 100 BSR products at least once a month. This enriches category reports with further data, particularly brand info for share of voice (SoV) analysis.
Use the Market Intelligence report to access pre-built analytics on:
- Top 100 BSR monitoring
- Top 100 BSR market analysis
- Category size
- Category growth
- Share by product and brand
Follow these steps to add a category:
- Go to the sources page
- Click Add Source
- Select the channel, Amazon or Walmart, then the Categories source.
- Search a category that you would like to add. Since categories form a heriarchy, search the top category you would like to add from the branch first if you would like to select multiple related categories.
- You will have the option to select a single category, or all levels of subcategories below the initial category selectors, or a set number of subcategory levels below.
- If you have included subcategories, you can click the category you've added you remove specific categories if needed.
- After making any necessary edits, click continue to confirm the selection and finish adding the categories.
Added categories appear on the Sources Categories page. You can search and filter tracked categories and delete ones that you no longer wish to track.
Updated 20 days ago